1. They will show up and support you Real friends will be there for you in good and bad times. These friends will drop everything and come help you in your time of need. They will show up and support you through difficult times even though they don’t have to. They will listen to you without trying to fix your problems; their love and support is always more important than their ability to change the situation. They are considerate and will genuinely listen to you with the intention of understanding.
2. You can be yourself around them without being judged Great friends will create a safe space for you to share any and everything without judgment. A true friend is someone you don’t have to put up a front for. You can just be yourself, and they will love you for who you are. They will offer correction when needed, but will never make you feel ashamed. You can do “nothing” together; there is no pressure to have big plans. “Friendship reveals secrets and opens doors with patience and confidence, not by force.”
3. They are reliable and check in on you
A true friend will always check in with you to see if you are okay! Those friends will call once in a while to catch up and make sure you are still alive and breathing. You may not get to see them as often as you want, but when you have the opportunity to see each other, it feels like they never left your side.
4. They care about your friends and family
True friends will never try to push you away from your loved ones; they will never make you choose between them and your family or other friends. On the contrary, they see your family as their own and will try to bring you even closer. They care about how they are doing and want to see them healthy and thriving. “True friends enlarge and consolidate families; they don’t tear them apart.”
5. They inspire you to be the best version of yourself
It is important that you surround yourself with people who invite you to grow and challenge you intellectually. These friends will often see your potential before you do. They will always help you pursue your dreams and turn them into reality so you can move forward, even when forward means far from them. They are not in competition with you; they want to see you win!
6. They call you out on your nonsense
Sometimes we tend to get in our own way, a true friend is someone who loves us and will call us out when we’re being ridiculous. They aren’t afraid of addressing problems and will always tell you the truth and navigate conflict in a healthy way. They have your best interest at heart and will call you out on your BS even if you don’t want to hear it.
7. They are kind, respectful, trustworthy, and honest
Friendships should be based on communication in all its forms. Real friends are kind, honest, trustworthy, and respectful. They give you freedom, time, and space, and hold your secrets without prying. You can tell how a person will treat you as a friend by the way they treat the world around them.
If you have noticed any of these traits in your current tribe, you are winning! If not, you may need to reconsider who you call a friend.